After the last blog post, Bathing Suit Season, several of you reached out to ask about shopping options for girls. Others of you offered great suggestions. Here are some of the options offered:
- Jessica Rey: modest, contemporary bathing suits
- Kortni Jean: vintage type suits
- Lands End: sporty one pieces, two pieces, and swim skirts
- Athleta: sporty one and two pieces
- Lime Ricki: bathing suits for all body types
- Swim Spot: has an option for modest one and two pieces for girls and women
- Hapari: also a selection of modest one and two pieces
- Ruth & Naomi: fun clothing and bathing suits for 8-13 year olds
When I shop with my teenage daughter I love to point out Proverbs 31 and what it says about clothing. The more we naturally bring up the Word of God in conversation, the more our girls will look to it for perspective and guidance.
Proverbs 31 states a woman of noble character dresses in the following ways:
- She dresses herself with strength
-She seeks to put on more than apparel. She thinks about how to present herself as a woman of character.
-She knows she is HIS. This love and fear of God drives everything she does, even what she wears and puts on.
- Her clothing is fine linen and purple.
-She is well dressed and wearing the style of the day.
-We can still be fashionable and enjoy style while maintaining our dignity and strength.
-Color, fabric, and texture are gifts! This is part of creation that God has given us to enjoy.
- Strength and dignity are her clothing.
-She is a woman who has confidence in who she is far beyond what she wears.
-This is the second time the passage says she clothes her self with strength. This strength implies self -control, thoughtfulness and intention.
-Dignity tells us she knows her worth and she reflects this in her actions and in her clothing. -This woman is not empowered by what she wears (such as the power suit of the day). She is empowered by her fear and love for her Creator. She is clothed well.
- She makes linen garments and sashes.
-The Proverbs 31 woman has a boutique! She offers her gift of sewing to provide for her family and clothe others.
-She serves God and others with the resources she has been given.
What a privilege it is to disciple our girls in strength and dignity! Have fun shopping!